joe calzaghe hall of fame

joe calzaghe hall of fame

Those last four rounds were exactly what he promised. The latter happened just enough to keep someone whose biography would be titled No Ordinary Joe focused on making sure that would be the case. “I really wanted to fight in Madison Square Garden, the mecca of boxing. I dropped him about 15 seconds into the fight, and I spent the next three rounds trying to take him out. Joe Calzaghe, in the end, would be anything but ordinary. Photo by Don Emmert/AFP-Getty Images. “To stand alongside some of my heroes of this great sport in the ring, the great trainers and some important people behind the scenes, it’s a very proud moment.”. Former champion Chris Eubank stepped in to contest the vacant belt with Calzaghe at the Sheffield Arena. “Adrian Opreda,” Calzaghe says immediately when asked if he can recall his opponent’s name. Promoter Frank Warren had manoeuvred the 25-year-old into line for a WBO world title shot, but champion Steve Collins – who had unsuccessfully chased a big-money bout with Roy Jones Jr – chose to retire rather than face the fast-rising youngster. After uninspiring wins over Sakio Bika and Peter Manfredo Jr, the long-reigning champion took the toughest fight that was out there for him, a clash with the young, dangerous, undefeated WBA and WBC champion Mikkel Kessler.

I kept fighting and training. “I still feel like I can kick the ass of half the guys fighting, but I’ve never been close to a comeback,” said Calzaghe, who now has his own promotional company, has appeared on the British version of “Dancing with the Stars” and become involved in an anti-bullying campaign. He also was a fighter with only one world left to conquer: America. “In the first 25 years I fought I’d been dropped two times. At the start of the 21st century, he ranked as the longest-reigning champion in professional boxing history, with an undefeated record in both the super middleweight and light heavyweight categories. First Prev 2 of 3 Go to page. When he overcame that ailment, he bounced back with a furious fifth-round stoppage of Omar Sheika, the man touted in America as the future of the super-middleweight division. “If I have one regret, it’s not going to the Barcelona Olympics in 1992,” said the 41-year-old former undisputed super middleweight and light heavyweight champion who finished his pro career 46-0 (with 32 knockouts). Subscribe today. If he had endured the breathless schedule of the likes of fellow Welsh Hall-of-Famers Jim Driscoll, Freddie Welsh and Jimmy Wilde, it is unlikely that Calzaghe could have maintained a 100% record through a long career. Then I had a long run.”. The super-middleweight would spend the majority of his career as a hungry fighter, forever striving for the recognition and financial rewards that his talents deserved. I’m fan of super joe. Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription. He went on to land the big-money US bouts he craved, moving up to light-heavyweight to conquer America in 2008 by out-pointing living legends Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas and Roy Jones Jr in New York’s Madison Square Garden.

I was ranked No. Prev. “I cried every time I lost a fight,” Calzaghe recalled recently while on a skiing holiday in Bulgaria. Joe Calzaghe still remembers the first one 31 years ago. I didn’t pace myself, and by the eighth round I was so exhausted. Rival title holders in Germany and the US knew the Welshman’s ability and – as he didn’t have the profile to deliver them a multi-million pound purse – stayed well away from him. Joe Calzaghe will complete his remarkable journey this week when the Welsh legend is inducted into the prestigious Boxing Hall of Fame. It depends what kind of fighters we're expected to see feature in these threads in the future. I beat that boy five times after that, so I guess that’s been well paid back.”. I didn’t spend much money because I didn’t make much money. He prepared himself for whomever was put in front of him and he won … and won … and won again until he clearly outpointed then undefeated Mikkel Kessler (39-0 at the time) on Nov. 3, 2007, at Millennium Stadium in Wales to claim the RING, WBC, WBA and WBO super middleweight titles in his 44th fight. It was really quite emotional for me knowing that after all I’d been through, this was the end of it. Will they all be world class fighters, or will there be some Brit level cult heroes thrown in? The week of the fight he told me he was going to take me to a place I’d never been. So it came as a shock to British boxing fans when Warren announced upon signing Calzaghe that “Joe is a far better prospect [than Benn had been].”. “I’d never been 12 rounds. Joe Calzaghe (R) on his way to a unanimous-decision victory over Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 8, 2008. I felt I’d accomplished all I could. “The last couple of fights I’d started to cut corners. What would your criteria being for inducting someone into a boxing HOF? One of the great southies. Hearn started life in boxing when he co-promoted Frank Bruno’s Heavyweight showdown with Joe Bugner at White Hart Lane in 1987 and with it his love affair with the sport began. It's taken me this long to decide and I'm still not sure. Undisputed … 1972) is undoubtedly the greatest fighter produced by Wales since World War II, and arguably the finest from the UK. If you were to invent a HOF then what standards would you attach, I can guarantee if I do one on Carl Johanesson that he's not getting in, you can take everything into account and come to your own conclusion. I’m going with a yes. I was in the gym training and trying to pay off the mortgage on my house. In 2014 he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. The decision still rankles with both Calzaghe and his father, although Joe has credited it as a possible spur to his future sustained success. The Welshman, 41, who reigned as a world champion for more than 11 years, quit the ring with a record of 46 wins from 46 fights.

Big 4 Shepparton Park Map, Bailly Injury, Sean Penn Madonna, Ryan Reaves, Rules Of Manliness, August Doorbell Cam Pro Review, American Airlines Stock, Susan Collins' Approval Rating, Bruce Buffer Brother, Risky Business Theatrical Ending, 4-0 Pds Suture, Sidney Crosby Mom, Serie A Top Scorers, Ring Anti Theft Bracket, Suzanne Ashman, Baker Mayfield Wedding, Elarica Johnson, How To Disconnect Ring Doorbell, Alexi Ashe, Beetle With Wings, Angel Eyes Korean Drama Ep 1, Abbott Laboratories, Robin Williams Stand-up Specials List, Kathryn Wilder Frontier, Alex Gray, Seeking Justice Full Movie Online, Heriot-watt University Uk, Corey Burton, Christine Pelosi, Video Doorbell No Subscription, Canada Vs New Zealand Pr, Pleasure Pizza Portola Menu, Argentina Vs Iceland World Cup 2018 Lineup, Do You Know The Muffin Man Meme, Philipp Grubauer, Nick Suzuki Salary, St Thomas Private Maternity Review, Vampire Academy Netflix, El Alto Population,

No Comments

Post A Comment

Register